Sunday, January 22, 2012

Home again, home again jiggity jig

After I wrote the title for this post , I realized I didn’t know where it actually came from.  So naturally, I used that “google thing” (as my oh-so tech savvy mother calls it) to do some research.  Apparently, this is the rest of the nursery rhyme-

To market, to market, to buy a fat pig.
Home again, home again, jiggity jig.
To market, to market, to buy a fat hog,
Home again, home again, jiggity jog.
To market, to market, to buy a plum bun,
Home again, home again, market is done.

Anyway, yes, Harry and I did go home to the greatest place on Earth: Eagle, Idaho.  But it turned out to be anything but a restful weekend.  I had 3 appointments for different wedding planning items and pretty much the whole weekend was filled with shopping, planning and shopping some more… I really don’t like shopping, and especially don’t like malls.  But we got a lot done: cake is ordered, wedding dress is getting altered, picked out a reception place (it is a really neat place!), shoes bought, and a bunch of decorating items bought and planned.   A pricy weekend, but what’s money for right?  Spending. 

I think Harry did homework all weekend, but he did surface for the cake testing.

My mom and I were unstoppable with all the wedding plans and literally when it comes to sorting through old pictures--you couldn’t stop us.   This weekend also turned out to be a marathon down memory lane.   My mom had picked out some pictures of me to use on the wedding slideshow, so the first night when I pulled in from Provo (at 1am) I went and looked at the pictures she had pulled….and then the baby books she had set aside… and then pulled two boxes from the garage that had pictures and old papers and started going through it and organizing.   Before I knew it, my mom came walking out just before 7 to get ready for work.  Oops.

At first she was almost mad and confused that I was up still, and then I said “I started going through pictures” and then she just said “oh….yeah. “  I am so glad we understand each other.

It didn’t stop there.  Friday night after work we went through some more stuff, and Saturday morning I woke up to more boxes in the kitchen and we just kept going until we had to peel ourselves away to make it to our appointments.   Saturday night, my mom was still going strong.  

Absolutely the best moment of the weekend: As we are going through stuff, my mom found an old box of insurance papers and what not that she was just going to throw away and then last minute decided to just sort through it real fast.  And  I will forever be glad that she did.  Amongst all my dad’s (who passed away 2 years ago) work papers was a letter that he had written to Jason, Sadie and me…and none of us, not even my mom, had ever seen it before.  It was a letter written before he even knew he had Lou Gehrig’s disease telling us things he wanted us to know at the time in case something happened to him with all of his traveling for work.  It is a wonderful treasure that I will cherish for the rest of my life.   I am so glad my mom was inspired to quickly take a look through that box and my dad was inspired to write us a letter so long ago.  I feel so blessed.

It was truly a great weekend, a little sleep deprived, but feeling good.  A lot got done, and a lot of great memories shared.  I love my family so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment